Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Theres more to Seattle than Starbucks...

So as promised here are the rest of the snaps from my skate day in Seattle, along with some footage. Apologies for the spots on the lens, I swear I cleaned that thing on the way over...must be magical dirt or something!

I've managed to forget the Vegas skatepark pics aswell, but there are a few in with my holiday snaps HERE.

Seattle was a rad place to visit, and even better if you skate and can get out to these parks. "Spoilt for choice" is a pretty apt description of the number of parks up there, and if you include the fact the Oregon is right next door you are laughing. Hard. In a maniacal "HAHAHAHALOOKATTHEMPARKS" kinda way.

First stop of the day was Marginal Way - Seattles own DIY VT spot. It's sick and they are still building more, check the footage of the Thrasher party there to see the finished new trannys being killed. They were off limits when we turned up as the crete was curing, but we still got to have a blast around the first build section, with the super whippy wall,and on the wooden mini tucked away. Sick place.
After that and hooking up with the mighty Dan Hughes we were whisked off to Ballard bowl. This is the 2nd incarnation of this place, and it's BIG. The vert wall reminded me of the one at St George but built into the bowl. How Dan front slashed it I'll never know, peep the footage below for proof. Rad rad bowl, you get to go super fast round this thing! Actually I think I answered my own question there....
Before we hit the next spot we stopped to check out the progress of Lower Woodland, yet another amazing park being built in the Seattle area. Loads of stuff here - clover bowl, flow blow thing and a big well laid out street section. Might well have to come back just to check this one out! Next up was Crossroads. Another massive bowl with a scary big wall at one end, and a big ol cradle. Lots of lines here for sure. A load of OMA fellas turned up for a lunchtime session which made it a right laugh. Those guys have this place dialled, they skate this as their Weds night spot so think about that next time we're freezing our chuffs off up at Hengrove. Actually maybe best we don't eh...
And onto the penultimate park Duvall. I'd seen pics of this and wanted to check out the pool - it was gnarly, whippy tranny and this crazy granite/pebble coping which made a sick noise. The street course was well laid out for a small area and had loads of features, especially the rocks built into it. Tons of fun.
Last up was Mukilteo. This was a YMCA run park, really well built and had lots of flow, oh and another massive big bowl. It's a full pad job as I found out after being told off by a 14 year old for not wearing elbow pads. I took a gert big slam on me rear end here so maybe the warning was needed? Made sitting down on the ferry on the way home a lot of fun I can tell you. Well nothing a few(lot of) beers didn't cure.

I shot a bit of vid film over the day and thats below, I missed a few rad things like John's carve grind in the Crossroads cradle (sorry!) but I think I got a few good things.

A big thanks to Dan, Tony and the rest of the OMA crew up there for taking a day off work to show me along the "sights"! I had an amazingly fun day, even my first burritto wasn't too bad ;)



Oh and if you like good Rock and Roll with a metal tinge then check out The Neon Nights who are on Tonys record label. I've been listening to that CD non-stop since I got back....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a good time having you over and a good day to miss work. Let's do it again soon!

Also... CD Baby is a good place to get your hands on the Neon Nights CD.

Tony

Bawb said...

Heed Tonys words and go buy the Neon Nights CD, trust me on thissun ;)

I'll be out there again at some point don't you worry Tony!

Anonymous said...

So many badass concrete constructions.....I'm sold!